Thursday, August 11, 2011

Randall Colburn, Chicago Playwright, Goes Stream of Consciousness on PUT MY _____ IN YOUR _______


Randall Colburn's Stream of Consciousness Review

Randall Colburn has agreed to put down some words about his impressions from PUT MY ______ IN YOUR _______. However, as in the past with other reviews of Mammals shows, he has done so as complete stream of conscious monologue. So... here it is!

Crispin Glover is my favorite actor and Adam Dodds sounded like Crispin Glover in the fucking most awesome way during Put My ____ in Your _____ last Saturday but that isn’t why it was the most fun I’ve had at the theater since I watched my friend Jessica forget her lines and start swearing during a misbegotten production of Biloxi Blues in college and that isn’t why I laughed and got fucking moved and Jamie Bragg and I were like holy shit surrounded by an enraptured audience having a goddamn riot amid the ultramodern Warhol Factory-like setting festooned with TVs ablaze with the unnerving visages of the cast licking lollipops and mumbling silent mutterings at unnatural clips and all those monologues which I figured Bob wrote but found out the cast wrote and that is incredibly impressive in how they embodied such melancholic violent spooky curlicues of conversational camaraderie with the audience I especially dug Ted Evans’ unspooling of his myriad mutilations and Anne Sonneville’s account of fire and demons delivered in an unsettling timbre on par with my childhood boogeyman and I mean it was really in seeing how damaged they all were so fucking damaged that highlighted in such a moving way their desperate need for Adam Dodds’ crytic Snail and his eerie brothel of filmmaking hedonists each desperately searching for the next pair of eyes and lips and cocks to fill the (pun intended) holes in their hearts and psyches and dreams and hopes and combusted happiness havens and Erin Orr rocked it as usual cause that’s what she does and the scene where she teaches Stacie Hauenstein to dance to Tainted Love was by turns completely joyous and joyously complete in its ability to forge a mellifluous ensemble and I love ensembles man like when they’re really clicking and protagonists can be so boring when you don’t have a killer crowd surrounding them but this show was so not boring and I get bored a lot like even during shows I really like there’s times when like you’re all like DO SOMETHING or something but I never felt like during this because out of every Mammals show I’ve seen this is the one where I really think I got exactly what y’all were getting at this idea of need and community and pain and the endless desire for some kind of unfathomable connection that we always think will materialize out of out hedonistic monkeyshines but never does and we can only come to terms with our loneliness and isolation and try not to hate ourselves to the point where we’re nothing without the intoxicating elixirs springing from any number of ephemeral ghosts and gods and who would think that’s what I would get out of a show where I consistently chuckled and gasped and was like, “Oh, hey, Dennis Frymire is blowing somebody right now.” See it

Randall is seemingly in constant production here in Chicago. You can find out more about him at www.randallcolburn.com

Remaining Performance Dates for PUT MY ______ IN YOUR _______

Friday August 12th
Saturday August 13th
Friday August 19th
Saturday August 20th
Friday August 26th
Saturday August 27th

All performances are at 10pm – BYOB

Also there is an industry performance - Monday August 15th at 8:00 pm

Zoo Studio
4001 N. Ravenswood Ave Ste B-1
Chicago, IL 60613

Suggested donation $20.00.
Reservations can be made by calling 866-593-4614

1 comment:

Jamie Bragg said...

Agreed. One of the best shows I've seen this year. When discussing the production with (the delightfully conscious and streaming) Randall after we saw the show on opening, the term I kept coming back to was "toothsome" - appropriate, perhaps, given the play's themes of consumption and destruction. Can't wait to see it again!