Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Liz Chase Interview

I recently got a chance to talk with Liz Chase, who is playing Queequeg in "All Girl Moby Dick", about the show and her experience with it. The interview is below.

Warwick: First off, tell us about your character in the show (who they are/what they do/etc...). Were they any direct or indirect inspirations that you had when you were creating it?

Liz: My character is Queequeg and I am a harpooneer.   Queequeg is a native from Kokovoko, "an island far away to the West and South."  In working on this character I relied heavily on Melville's descriptions of Queequeg.  Any conversations or interactions Queequeg had with Ishmael informed me of Queequeg's character and demeanor.    

W: What has been the most challenging part of the process for you?

L: Queequeg is a man of few words.  He is simple and direct.  For me, trying to capture these qualities was definitely a challenge.  Also finding the physicality of Queequeg took some time for me.  Trying not to be too casual in my posture and bringing a "large" presence was something I really had to work on.

W: What's the most rewarding?

L:The most rewarding part of this process has been feeling comfortable in a role that originally kind of scared me; finding more in this character than I thought I would.    Also, seeing all things come together, whether it is scenes that we have been working on or fight choreography or adding in the technical elements.  Its nice to see a final product and see it work.

W: What aspect or scene in the show are you most excited for the audience to witness?

L: I'm excited for the audience to see the "Jonah" scene.  This scene is very stylized and is very Mammal-ish.  I think it is a very visually interesting scene and its an awesome way to begin Act II!

W: What attracted you to this project in the first place? 

L: It's a Mammals' show...enough said. :)


We are now publishing books! And each one has a coupon in the back for a free admission to a Mammals show! If you like what we do and want to support us, this is a perfect way! Click on button and you can purchase our first book, DEVILS DON'T FORGET the script!

Thank you Chicago for supporting us!
Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.

No comments: